Friday, September 16, 2011

Moon Flower


The Moon Flower is fascinating to watch as it unfolds it's big trumpet like blooms each evening around 8 or 9 o'clock, and it does emit a lovely fragrance. I have had this flower for a short time before, but lost it when the house burned in 2007. Shortly after that, I got another start from a past co-worker who has swapped flowers with me for now onto 40 years. I brought the starter plant home and have been fascinated with it ever since.I have and will share it with any and everyone who'd care to have a start.Just be fore-warned. It is one of those flowers that will take over,not only the flower bed, but your yard.It get huge, and has a gazillion seed pods.And the seed pods are enormous and very prickly.Even when they are young and green, they can hurt you.I use heavy leather type gloves when I work with the plant in the late summer, removing it completely. If not, you won't need grass. It will grow so many plants from the seeds,it will smother out your grass.I have pitched a few of the seed pods around when I don't want grass to grow,so we'll see how that plan goes next season. I may be sorry for spreading the seeds even there.

No comments:

Post a Comment